Friday, January 12, 2007

MIT - Reliving 4 semsters........

Well i know this isnt a great topic to post .........but do read it........

MIT(Massachusetts Institute of technology) - The name says it all . A great institution , No 1 in the world, bla bla bla......yu all might be knowing the above info but i ll give yu a not-so-great fact abt the name.... yu can also say this is a disgrace to this institution .....i.e this institution shares its name with a/an _______ institution located in chrompet,chennai, india..

(the space is left blank for yu to fill in after reading abt this chennai-based instituion)

Having earned the reputation of being the 2nd best institution/college in tamil nadu (if not the best) based on its performance and the quality of students it has been producing for the past decade, MIT so called Madras institute of technology,founded by Mr Rajam in 1949 offering four technological courses namely Electronics , Automobile , Aeronautics and Instrumentation , has shown a steady decline in its quality of education and and the quality of teaching......Prior to the Affiliation with Anna university in 1978,MIT produced great enginneers in the likes of K.B Chandrashekar , Dr A.P.J Abdul Kalam etc etc ... Though the standard of this institution has suffered a great catastrophic collapse over the years but i still wonder how the quality of students getting intromitted into this institution has never shown even a minutest of decline? ...........May be thats coz of the impregnable reputation it had earned during its evergreen years.......... This institution has always had the previllege calling itself a constituent college of this famous university ever since 1978 albeit its poor state during recent years...

Sadly i was one of the many victims who fell into this irevertible trap of choosing this college at the time of Engineering admission counselling ....Well.....it took me jus two days to actually find out wat to expect in the next four years.......Seriously the things that were to follow were abysmally staring right at my face...... The tag ' Anna univ' always accompanies this college which i think is the best thing tat this college ll be proud of at this juncture...

I was very much eager and was really waiting for my coll life to experience a serious kick-start but
the whole scenario toppled in jus a weeks span.........But having commited a serious blunder in choosing this college , i had to cope with the disappointments that the college had in store for me in the coming weeks ........

Where to start? and wat to tell ? ..... shud i say abt the dismal state of our campus or the not-even-minimum-bearable ambience tat our canteen offers to those who get drivenback from our monotonous coll mess from the mere smell of it or the ever-closed students store (which is called the co-operative store i haven found wats so co-operative abt it till date) or the abandoned health centre (whose legitimacy is non-pareil ) ? i seriously wonder were to start with .........

" Oh MIT ? i have never herd of this name b4 " was the reply i got from a local resident wen i was on my way to this college for the first time in my life.........Our college ,arguably the smallest college in T.N,( i havnt been to many colleges but i can bet my life on this ) is located in the suburb called chrompet lying in the out skirts of chennai ..... sickening fact is tat the areas encircling the institution has developed at a rapid pace over the years but the coll hasnt.....It has got a railway station and even a bus stop very close to its gates.....still not known by many in and around chrompet......

Bein a neophyte at MIT , i din know much abt wat and wat not to do in this institution ...... First few weeks at MIT was somewat fascinating albeit the college wasnt jus coz i got in touch with many new frens....disappointed with the coll's aesthetic value i tried to shift my focus on academics which i have been doin well all thru my life since time unknown....I was somewat happy with the instructors we were forced to study under ........ And wat more? I really got impressed and enthralled by our English professor Mr Elango ..if the not the same excitement , i was satisfied with the other subject coordinators to an extent...... After a long vacation since the board exams i thought,with the present quality of instructors ,i should be able to bring back my form in academics without any hiccups.....everything went well till the secon assesments as one wud expect....but latter half of my first sem saw me bunking a lot of classes, some intentionally and some due to ineluctable circumstances , tats the time i realised tat i went unnoticed for bunking.....which was a blessing in disguise as i was used to the punishments for late coming and scool bunking........I completely lost interest in Engineering drawing and cudnt even manage to fold the drawing sheet according to the accepted norms...Getting caught for exchanging drafters during an exam,very irresponsible in completing weekly assignments,caught in the wron books of a Prof(He who must not be named) didnt help my course at all rather instilled fears in myself abt the prospects of the subject in the final exams .... But burning the mid night oil for completing my assignments and studying for the exam made sure i escaped with a decent B in tat...... I was satisfied if not overly delighted with my grade of 8.6 which was supossed to be a decent score in MIT ...... I wasn overly upset as my performance slackened as the first semester progressed, on the whole wen i look back at my first sem i wud consider myself as a happy man .......

The year tat is regarded as the turning point in one s career , the one which saw my board exams,saw me getting enrolled in MIT , the one in which i got a tase of coll life ..... came to an end alon with my first semster .........

Second semster followed soon after the first with not much of a break ........ breathing space was very less .....and the fact tat this sem was a 7 subject sem which included two of my dept subjects was doin no good to my conjested coll life ......and as one wud expect...more subjects more leeway for bunking classes ...secon sem was even worse than the first wen it came to bunking .....Bunked, co-bunked ,mass bunked and did wateva i could in a span of those three months .....i was delighted to have got a bunking partner and still remains one in the name of Cibi (one of my best buddies at MIT ) ..we started looking down upon classes with disdain as the quality of our instructors din match up to our expectations......I remember vividly we never found ourselves in campus on thursdays esp during the afternoon sessions ......... Well even sems in our coll are always breezy as they were filled with lots of dept festivals and of course the main even The MITAFEST... the highlight of the secon sem next only to my bunking was MITafest........I enjoyed all its 4 four days ....which included sleep overs , night outs , and lots and lots of fun .....
Coming to academics ,it was no better slipped up many a time but atlast managed an 8.3 which was again decent ........

After a long and eventful summer vacation I entered my 2nd year ........with a Cgpa of 8.45 tagged to my name i used to compare my twelfth and my first year....lots of glaring vagaries......but i couldnt help it and consoled myself saying tat it was a process of evolution .....
Third year was a well spaced and well planned since the no of classes came down with the no of credits......i was a bit disappointed as i couldn bunk as many classes as in 2nd sem but having got the reputation as the 'bunk-king' among my frens i didn spoil my reputation ... pushed the limits to the maximum extent possible tat one of my instructors called me over and literally implored in making me attend her last class ..(which if i had failed to i wud have been in trouble)......I was very courteous to her by attending it...lol....Third sem was no better in the quality of instructor we were forced to cope with ..... I later realsied theres no point feeling for this and put it behind my shoulders considering it as my destiny .......The staff failed to inculcate the habit of studyin in me which wasn a surprise but i tried to develop it myself and worked towards it but only to drop it after my first assesments as i became complacent with the scores i got in my first assesnments.. and as usual flunked in the secon series of tests....so with a decent internal score i could manage nothing more than a decent score of 8.4.......

2006 ! ..I entered new year with high hopes of ameliorating my academic standards ...but i din know tat my 4 th sem wil turn out to be one nightmare of a sem ........As it was an even sem it was so breezy and quick and days passed like minutes......and i encountered my biggest hurdle with the name of Random process and variables not coz i was weak in tat but the staff debilitated my capabilities in tat subject.....with the range of my internal marks i was consternated with the type of grades i ended with ......Not even a single coordinator spared me .everyone showered their disgrace on me ....E in Maths! .....i have never even tot of it in my life...despite doin most of the damage I wudn blame the staffs alone ......part of the blame was within me.... well 4 th sem is one period i ll have to forget soon ........the disgraceful gpa of 7.4 stared at me and i started questioning my abilities......the disappointment hovered me.....as the rest of my vacation passed .........

- to be continued ........

1 comment:

Zen Dude said...

I see you too are getting into blogging...
looking forward for more from you...